miércoles, 20 de enero de 2016

GOLDEN BIRTHDAY

“Seventeen, eh!" said Hagrid as he accepted a bucket-sized glass of wine from Fred.
"Six years to the day we met, Harry, d’yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely," said Harry, grinning up at him. "Didn’t you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig’s tail, and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge’ the details," Hagrid chortled.” 

I turned 17 this past Sunday. To be honest, I don't know how it happened. It seems like it was yesterday when my cousins were my age and I still watched Cartoon Network. Now I have months to be able to vote, drink alcohol, drive, and go to jail. Scary, isn't it?


It was a different birthday, nothing I had ever lived nor felt whatsoever. I guess I'm used to be woken up by my mother on January 17th. In the morning, she will open the door gently, and say ''Happy Birthday nene'' (how she has been calling me since I was born) as if she were talking to a baby. As she slowly approaches the bed, her tone will turn high. 
I will say thank you, and she will lie on bed with me, kissing my cheeks a hundred times, saying how she doesn't want me to get older.
Going down the stairs I will hear my aunt's door opening, and she will say Happy Birthday too, opening her hands and swinging her head (as if she were talking to another baby). We will hug each other, and usually share a memory from back in the day, when I was a child and she used to take care of me in the mornings. 
Next stop is my grandparents' house. Right after opening the door, I will see a white envelope underneath the crystal on top of the table. There's no need to say that 20 euros are waiting for me in the inside. A loud scream will escape from my granny's mouth, and she will come to me with a smile, saying that I actually look older.

Does it mean it was a bad birthday? Heck no, it was freaking awesome.
Sarah had cooked my favorite breakfast (recipe is already written down. 0 risks of missing it in Spain), as a means to start off the day how it is supposed to. After a while, and some extra calories I couldn't take no more. Then I had a few hours to receive greets from my people back at home. We all like hearing some good words from people once in a while, especially when it's your birthday and you haven't talk to them in quite a few time.

It's family tradition to decide where you want to eat on your birthday. It wasn't easy, but after some research and advice, I chose Texas Roadhouse (The most American Restaurant I came up with)
The entire family came to the restaurant and we all shared a good time together, the meal was delicious, the atmosphere was just like in the movies (pictures talk by themselves) and I got more gifts than I expected. After all, they are starting to like me, indeed.
The night before, we went to Walmart to get some cake, along with a pair of candles, even though I'm committed to eat healthy to make weight for Wrestling, I cheated that day. But who cares, you don't turn 17 every day.
The funniest part of the night was when I was called out by the waitress, and had to shout Yiha! while riding a fake horse. Yes, the entire restaurant was watching me meanwhile.

I'd like to thank my host-family for trying their best at making me feel at home, they did a long time ago. Also, I'm utterly sure that I will remember the time I turned 17 with a nice smile, because of you.
Thanks again, for making of this birthday, the greatest in America so far (who knows if there will be another)

Gifts: The hobbit and Lord of the Rings books, Barnes and Noble Sherlock Holmes classics Edition, a necklace, some t-shirts, socks I had asked for, K-state hat (another one) and some gift cards. I can't recall a single birthday when I got so many presents that I actually enjoyed.











No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario