viernes, 15 de enero de 2016

CHRISTMAS IN THE U.S.

“Happy, happy Christmas, 
that can win us back to the delusions of our childish days;
 that can recall to the old man the pleasures of his youth; 
that can transport the sailor and the traveller, thousands of miles away, 
back to his own fire-side and his quiet home!”
–Charles Dickens, The Pickwick Papers

Nothing but good things can come from a 2 weeks break. Especially if the we are talking about Christmas'.
It started with polemic red cups. Sarah's best friend came over with her family, and invited us to get a ride around the city, yet it wasn't a normal ride. It was late, we had to wear our pijamas, and Starbucks cookies with Frappuccinos were waiting in the car. We drove around Winter Wonderland, which is a huge park, decorated with hundreds of Christmas lights. Pictures talk by themselves.
Putting up the tree took an entire afternoon, there were so many ornaments that you could barely see any green. It was fun though, Pitch Perfect 2 was on Tv meanwhile, so we got to laugh quite a bit. The lights hanging off the roof was such an adventure, in the process, we ran into some issues which were solved successfully. Our street was worth driving by.

My Spanish family sent over a package full of food, turrón y polvorones among them. I was excited introduce Americans to our traditions back at home. Despite the awkward faces in the beginning (they are not used to floury sweets) I
can say that the great majority liked them.  

Icy roads have contributed to spend more family time. We made cookies (a whole bunch) like the one that appears in Shrek's movie. Maybe we put more sugar than recommended but this is Topeka, and yes, we are the 8th most obese city of the NATION (at least that's what I have been told).

The day when Christ was born came, and we shared breakfast with the entire family, at our house. We ate casserole (one of the best things I have tasted here so far, next week I'm recording Sarah while she makes it, as a means to never forget the recipe) French toasts and orange juice. 

After brunch, we did the stocking (A raffle was made and we had to buy presents keeping the budget within 10 bucks). The presents were put in the famous sock hanging off the chimney. My highlights were Nesquik and 2 bandanas.
There were no presents

Moving onto the presents underneath the overwhelmed tree. Throughout these months I have been adding things to my wish list, the problem is that I never wrote them down, so I didn't know what to expect. Dude, the wish list got reduced to almost anything. I got all I wanted and more. Sarah's stalking skills are something to point out, mighty good. 
I handed out some presents from Spain, which I think they liked, credit to my parents (they got my back)

Movies have been one of my favorite things. I got to watch a lot of American classics such as Star Wars (Took place at Steve's dwelling, as a matter of fact I had to refill my plate with sweets every 2 minutes. Shame on those girl scouts who brought like 2 kg of them) or Jurassic Park (Karen's place. This time the food supplies were charitas and sugary cookies)

The drives with Bryce, jamming in the car, cannot be forgotten. He has been my savior when I had to get to Walmart, or wanted some healthy junk food.

Best Christmas I can remember so far. Apart from eating and receiving presents, I have lived moments that are going to remain in my memory for a long time.
Thanks to the Elsen's family, for treating me as if I were another member of them, and sharing their holidays with me. 

Let's keep it going.


The light bill though...
K-State basketball game

Christmas Tree at the High School
First snow of the year
City on top of the Capitol
More food

Christmas day at Church

Food
Some were opened on the 24th
Sarah's casserole 
Spanish sweets 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario