jueves, 24 de diciembre de 2015

THANKSGIVING- Nov 26th



Is it too late now to write a post about Thanksgiving? Yeah, maybe I have taken the beginning of the sentence from JB's song, but nobody can blame me, there had to be some side-effects. It's all over the place, trust me if I tell you that you will hear Sorry, Same Old Love, and Hello, every time you get into the car, at any time, they are always there, waiting for you. And it's becoming kind of creepy. Sometimes they surprise you with the Black Eyed Peas' old jams, but that's once in a lifetime, or exchange year, in this case.
Now that I have wandered enough, we can come back to Thanksgiving. Possibly the biggest holiday of America, when all the family gets together to share food and be thankful.

Let's start by saying that I cooked, by cooking I mean peeling potatoes and apples, but heck yeah, thats cooking, if not, go tell the guy who peeled 15 apples and 8 big potatoes, the contrary. Sounds easy, but believe me, it's not. Soreness in muscles exist, specially in that one below the wrist.

We can move onto the masterpiece, the turkey. You know, I honestly wasn't impressed by its size, since I'm a guy who has turkeys back at home, but who knows, maybe you live in the city and have never seen one. Whether or not that's your case, yes, it's big.
Turkey
The day before, we went shopping to get the last-hour supplies that we were missing, and then the chores were assigned. I took care of the peeling and cooking stuff, trying my best to help Sarah, and Bryce mainly got the cleaning. Mainly because we all help each other if needed, so we share the credit.
Although my cooking skills are far from where they should be (considering I'm turning 17 in less than a month) they are slowly improving in here. I have set the goal of being able to prepare some of the American dishes that drive me crazy, back in Spain. We will get there by May (at least that's what I tell myself).

It may sound boring, cooking and cleaning. But it wasn't. Not when you're getting hype with your family in the meantime, listening to the hottest Hip Hop tracks of the moment from Pandora (streaming music service, similar to Spotify Radio). Music sounds different when played on a Tv.

The day was finally here, and the family gathered at home. First of all we ate some appetizers, said the things we were thankful for out loud, and then we ate. There were so many dishes I did not even thought of counting them. You just enjoy them, until you can't take no more. My stomach was telling me that I was full, but then I noticed that there was pumping pie for dessert. The dishes were the only thing standing between us, so Bryce and I did them as fast as we could.
Pumpkin pie is one of those things that make you wonder why you haven't come to the U.S earlier.

It surely was a very cool day, and I'm glad that I got to experience it with such amazing people.

Some of the dishes
Pumpkin Pie
Taking care of the bae

1 comentario:

  1. Hola Sixto!!! Soy una de las personas que han pasado la primera fase de la beca y dentro de un par de semanas tengo que hacer el exámen oral. Quería preguntarte como es la prueba oral y qué opinas sobre el tema que he elegido : Malala Yousafzai
    ¿De qué son las preguntas que hacen?

    ResponderEliminar